Friday, September 28, 2012

Where DID September Go?

So what's been happening in the Korthuis household the rest of the month?  Bryan and I are having a hard time realizing it's the end of the month again--where did it go?  Sunday will be exactly a month since we left for California.  Seems like we just got back.

Brandon and I have started doing some preschool at home.  This is the only picture I have of him doing school right now since mostly I'm doing it with him.  Anyway, we do lots of active things because he learns better that way.  We put actions to our Bible Memory, jump and punch to spell his name, etc.  It's been quite fun so far, and he's an eager learner so that always helps.


Last week Wednesday we made applesauce.  Brandon LOVES making and eating applesauce and this year was actually quite a big help--not in the childish "I want to help" sense either.  He and Micah washed all the apples and Brandon did the straining for quite a few of the batches.  What's even better is he did it all with a smile. 


Micah designated himself and the getter of apples for washing in the sink.


Last year I tried mixing the sugar and spices in to each bowl individually and really ended up with a variety of flavorings.  So this year, I did it a little differently.




It worked fairly well too.  However, at one point the texture gave me a very distinct and vivid memory of squishing mango seeds out of mangoes to make mango sauce--just about made me gag!  I was thankful when the stirring part was over.

This week we went out to take pictures of the almost completed project that Bryan has been heading up.  The boys always love these excursions since they usually get to see an excavator or some other large equipment at work.  Such a thrill!



This is a huge cauldron that they needed to have a crane come in for to put in place.  It would have been fun for the boys to see, but for safety reasons I decided against it.



I joined a Bible Study last week with a couple friends, from a different church.  This church has a digital system so you get a buzzer for the child you leave in the nursery and if the attendants need you, they just send a signal and you buzz.  Anyway, I got buzzed out of Bible study this week for Micah.  I walked up to the door expecting him to be screaming his head off, but instead he was standing at the door just looking at the attendants.  I walked in and they told me he had to go potty.  I was a little astounded and said, "But he's not potty trained."  "He just said he needed to go potty."  We have been talking about it to him very purposely at home, and I guess it's time to pull out the little potty.

Brandon picked up his first fall cold this week.  Last night he coughed twice (and not since thankfully) and it sent my adrenaline sky rocketing through the roof.  We are really praying all the changes will keep him from the ER and hospital this year.

Tomorrow we have the opportunity to join our community in a 5K walk to raise money to build a well in Haiti.  Two seventh grade girls from our church have organized the entire thing.  It's so neat seeing kids with a passion to help change the world, using their own community to do it.

Well, that's a quick update on what's been happening around here.

Blessings on your Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment