Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Birthday Surprise Part 1

Have you ever been just plain weary...weary emotionally, physically, spiritually, psychologically?  Well, I was.  I was weary from sick kids not sleeping, mentally from dealing with a wide variety of issues, emotionally probably because I wasn't getting any sleep...I was just plain weary.  But I have an amazing husband who sees and understands me so instead of throwing a huge party for my 30th birthday, he completely arranged a surprise, quiet weekend away, to rest, rejuvinate and simply STOP.

About two weeks ago he told me I wasn't allowed to plan anything from Friday noon (the 28th) to Sunday midnight (the 30th), and then proceeded to spin me in as many circles as he possibly could so I wouldn't figure out what was going on.

Friday at noon he came home for lunch and after the boys were in bed, sent me for a much needed nap.  When I woke up he told me I had a hair appointment.  I hate long hair, but for a wide variety of reason, one of them being my husband LOVES long hair, I had let it grow out again.  So this gift was very special.  He gave me a picture of my favorite hair cut and said go.  If you've ever had long, thick hair and got it chopped off, you know how freeing a feeling it is.

Anyway, when I got home, he was waiting in the driveway by the car.  "I'm hear to burst your next guess.  We ARE leaving tonight, not tomorrow."  WHAT??  He had most of the packing finished so I just had to throw a couple last minute things in and then we left.  We dropped the boys off at Grandma and Bumpa's house and headed south.

Now, let me tell you, it is a completely uncanny feeling driving south and not knowing how long you'll be driving, where you're going, or what's waiting for you on the other end.  I had guessed every direction.  Canada was quickly ruled out as we got on I-5 south.  We drove past 20 and 2, so eastern WA was becoming less of a possibility.  Then we hit Everett.  Because of all the construction work happening on the 99 viaduct, I-5 was stop and go traffic.  It took us an hour and a half to get from Everett to down town Seattle.

We passed 90 so eastern WA was completely out and I had two guesses left--Mt. St. Helens or Ocean Shores either of which could have been completely wrong, too.  We finally made it to Olympia and I saw the sign for the 101 highway and as we turned off of it I knew we were going to Ocean Shores and I was EXCITED!!  I had wanted to go there for a long time. 

Because of all the traffic we hit, we didn't arrive at the hotel until 10pm and my head was pounding from all the traffic lights flashing by and from lack of sleep for weeks on end. 



We got out of the car and Bryan pointed up and there was this sign:



I could hardly believe my eyes.  I'd never had my name up on a sign board before--it was kinda fun.

Earlier that morning Bryan had told me I wasn't allowed to look in the back of the explorer, or in the cooler after he got home.  After we checked in he looked at me and said, "Okay, you want to know what's in the cooler?"  Duh!  He had bought a bunch of red roses for me and packed them along.



And here are pictures of the hotel.  It was right on the beach and we had a room in the corner so we could see/hear the ocean.



Our room was the top left balcony.

Down to the beach.

Panoramic view from our room.
I finally knew where we were going.  Mentally I started relaxing just knowing I wouldn't have to get up to crying/coughing/screaming kiddos in the middle of the night.  I finally let myself relax and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment