Friday, July 15, 2011

Point Whitehorn

Whew!  Didn't think we were going to get our park in this week, but we did!  Yesterday it poured buckets, and that's no exaggeration.  As one friend put it on facebook: "I feel like I went to sleep in July and woke up in November."  It was unreal for this area in July.


So I decided to make strawberry jam instead.  I really missed my family that is usually around for such jobs.  It goes so much faster with others to help.


After cleaning strawberries for three hours, Bryan suggested I look at the radar to see if it was raining out by the park I had been hoping to go see yesterday.  Thankfully, it wasn't raining out there.  So I got the boys up early from their naps and we headed out.  According to the information on the website it was low tide at noon.  We didn't get out there until closer to 3, though, so the tide was quite high already.


Brandon astounded me when he went up to the sign and pointed to the trail we needed to follow.

It is about a 3/4 mile walk to the top of the hill where you climb down to the ocean.
The path is very well maintained with boardwalks over the marshy areas and gravel
on the pathways.


There are a couple signs like this explaining about the habitat and why the forest is left the way it is.  You can tell it's been left alone for the most part.

We found three of these view points.  They would be perfect for watching the sunset on a clear evening, I think.

The beginning of the climb down to the ocean.  Probably a full mile of path if this is included.

There are stairs for the steepest part.

It's been here awhile.

Looking back up.

Off to the left you can see the BP oil refinery ocean liner.

Beyond the private property to the right is Birch Bay.

Someone made a "fort".

Brandon tried to crawl inside but couldn't fit.  He came back out and said, "No one's in there, so I can't go inside."

Micah loved the textures again.

There were HUGE rocks to throw as well as smaller ones.


Doesn't he look like such a captain?  He saw a sail way off in the distance,
hardly visible, and was convinced it wasn't floating any more.

I carried Micah on my back instead of front for the walk back up.  That kid is getting so heavy!

The forest has definitely been left alone for the most part.

So much so that trees have started growing out of fallen trees.  This is the root system for one fallen tree.

The other side.

These are all over the place.  I have no idea what they're called, but they were beautiful.

Brandon learned what a slug was.  I haven't seen them this big in a long time.

See the tree growing out of the fallen tree?

A better view of it.



This one surprised me the most.



We saw five people while we were there.  As Bryan said when I told him where we were going, "There's a park out there?"  I don't think it's very well known.  I would love to go back at really low tide, when the star fish are supposedly out, and in the evening to watch a sunset there. 

Time to get lunch on.  Have a wonderful weekend. 
Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment