Thursday, October 10, 2013

Micah's Adjustments

Lots of people have asked how Micah is adjusting to having his brother and best friend gone all day long.  It's been quite an adjustment for the little man.  He does lots of hanging around me, asking to read stories, wanting to help with my work, and TALKING LOTS!  I always knew he had lots going on in his head, but if you know Brandon you understand Micah doesn't get very many opportunities to verbalize those thoughts (we're working on that!).  Anyway, one of the biggest surprises for me was how much Micah talks when given the open opportunity with no one around to interrupt him.  His thought processes astound me too.  The other day he started playing around with names and giggling.  He said Brandon was Brandon Donald and he was Micah Andrew.  Yesterday he got out the white board and drew a circle with lots of lines coming out of it.  When I asked him what it was he said it was the sun (pretty typical drawing for being three).  (In the evening when he was telling Bryan about his day he said he drew a sun but he didn't think it was a very good one and next time he would do better.)  After drawing a sun he looks at me and says, "Mommy, I'm going to draw a spider next.  How many legs does it have?"  What?  Where did that come from?  He never did get his spider drawn.  He tried but quickly decided it was far more interesting to draw rectangles by drawing around the perimeter of the board in different colors.

Helping me shape the bread.

Something else I've found interesting in his adjustments is that when I tell him it's time for him to go play by himself for a while, he will often get some toys or books and go play on Brandon's bed.  It probably has lots to do with the fact that it's the top bunk bed, but I think it's also a way he feels connected to Brandon when he's not around.


In any case, we're working through it and starting to find a new "normal" on days Brandon is at school.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment